[dba-Tech] Server 2008 Enterprize crash

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 19 18:02:23 CDT 2019

Thank you Jason...much appreciated.

If my first two apps, as listed in a subsequent post, had not apparently solved the problem that would have been the next attempt. Other people have said to always be vigilant about third-party drivers supplied by Microsoft. The issues I have had may be still there so I will keep your recommendation as a backup plan. I was, at one point, thinking of attempting a non-destructive upgrade from my original disks but have not done that process in years...so am a little apprehensive.

If anything fails within the next year, Linux kernel, in 2020, will have a fully built-in option of ZFS and then I will just backup, upgrade to a distro of Linux using 4.19 core. Maybe Microsoft will also support such an option along with NTFS 5.1.(?) as they do on Azure (?). I would like to have the ability of having a self-healing, self replicating drives and with unlimited roll-backs. Also unlimited drives can be clustered into a single drive with the same self-healing characteristics, in the event of drive failure.

Jim

PS: If you ever have a problem deciding which Linux distro is right for you check out the following and that should help you narrow down the list. This list is not fully current and I believe every computer science student graduating with a PHD, must build their own Linux version. ;-)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg