[dba-Tech] pc can't stay connected

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:47:15 CDT 2020

No, I don't think so. House is cool, not in a sunny window.... and I'm having no problem staying on -- nor any of our other devices.

Susan H.

Could it be heat related?  Based on the time of day it quits and then reconnects? Try swapping out the NIC?

I have one pc that can't stay online during the day. At night... it stays connected all night, at least when we check. Below are the symptoms:

1.) Consistently disconnects starting around 10am and shows no networks, so connecting quickly isn't an option.
2.) When we reboot, it connects but disconnects (repeating 1.) quickly. Connection starts working again in the late afternoon, evening and throughout the night.
3.) Randomly turns itself on. This just started. I haven't disabled fast startup, but I'm getting ready to do that this morning.

What I've done:

1.) Updated network adapter driver.
2.) Uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter.
3.) A number of other things that the Internet suggested, but nothing has worked.

Usage isn't the problem -- we are not going over our connected devices limit. But, I have played around with that a bit anyway. Turning everything else off (except the firesticks) doesn't correct the problem -- still won't stay connected. I'm not aware of having any kind of "data" usage limit, but again, even if there were, he'd stay connected with everything else off.

The router did show an unknown on our 2G and I've backlisted it twice now -- different mac address. It hasn't shown back up, but the above continues. It's probably something of ours and I can't identify it -- when I can't connect it later, I'll remember -- aha! (I hope!)

At this point, I'm ready to change our wifi password, even though it will be a royal pia. If someone is hacking, that'll take care of it for a while. If the above continues, any other suggestions -- perhaps replacing somek ind of card???? It's an older unit, but still runs fine and gets the job done. I'd rather not replace it until I really need to.

While we're on this topic -- I've given all of my devices friendly names, but only a few show up on the router admin page. Is there a way to do that -- so that the router displays those names? Bedroom firestick is a lot friendly than alfbafbhahf;ah  fa faj ffajf.  😊

Thanks in advance!
Susan H.

Susan H.