[dba-Tech] Local storage, backups, SSD questions

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 18:38:42 CDT 2020

Not that I'm expert in hardware, but it seems to me that hard disks are a
thing of the past; given the size and price and speed of SSDs, the hard
disk seems doomed. Add to that cloud technology. Factor in the plummeting
cost/storage ratio of hard disks (3TB seems to becoming the standard). Let
us suppose that, like my friend Douglas, you like to store movies on your
hard drives. He has at least 1000 movies stored on a few drives. How is it
possible to back all that up. It would cost you lots to use the cloud.
As the numbers go up, my comprehension seems to go down. My friend is just
a consumer, not a professional. Let's assume that he has 3TB of data he
wants to back up. He looks to me for advice and I have no idea what to
suggest.
Any advice would be most gratefully received.

--
Arthur