[dba-Tech] Local storage, backups, SSD questions

Fred Hooper fahooper at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 07:11:01 CDT 2020

My approach in more detail (probably overkill):

I have a 2TB drive in the main system; I use FreeSync to copy to/from a NAS
with two mirrored 2TB drives. FreeSync on our laptops syncs with the NAS,
which is synced to the 2TB drive in the main system. Finally, the main
system is backed up on Backblaze.

The effect of this is that everything is backed up both locally and in the
cloud. The ~$5/month Backblaze cost is the only non-hardware cost.

As Backblaze (for all folders) and the NAS (for some folders) keep earlier
versions we can also recover from oops events — with FreeSync running every
10 seconds. However I manually clean out the “deleted” folder on the NAS as
I’ve never gotten around to automating it.

Fred