[dba-Tech] external hard drive

Daniel Waters df.waters at outlook.com
Fri Apr 16 09:18:48 CDT 2021

Hi Susan,

I use two 2 tb hard drives for backup, and swap them out every week.  Using 3 partitions on each HD this gives me 6 separate weeks of backup files.

A few weeks ago I began having trouble with both cases that the hard drives were in – these were causing errors when the backup files were being created.  This was hard to figure out but trying every combination the cases were the problem.  I suspect some software had an update and that triggered the problem with both cases at once.

I didn’t want to buy two new cases for over $100.  I found a simple cable which just plugs into a bare HD or an SSD, plugs into my PC via USB, and has a power adapter.  The cable is: ‘Neeyer SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable for 3.5/2.5 Inch HDD/SSD’.  This cost only $18 on Amazon. There are other similar cables as well.

So – I didn’t have to buy two new cases, I’m only using bare drives, and all works great! Having fewer of hardware pieces in my backup process should end up being more reliable.

Good Luck!
Dan