[dba-Tech] What is KMSpico?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:58:25 CDT 2022

I had no idea that its purpose was to steal software, nor how it arrived on
my laptop. Sorry, but at 74.4 years old I am prone to breathlessness,
stupidity, memory loss, muscle weakness... hell, the list of parts that
still work is a lot shorter. Today I successfully walked a block, and also
wrote some code that compiled without errors. For me, these are huge
victories.

>From now on I'm not going to install anything that I've never heard of and
read about. And had to pay for. As someone once said, "If it's free, then
you are the product."

Way too old for this sh**t, In fact, I am rebuilding an ancient tower that
currently does nothing. The plan is to replicate my old DOS 6.22
environment, with Clipper 5.x, Blinker, QEdit, and all the products I and
partner Peter Brawley wrote, collectively called Artful Gold. I've been
inspecting some of these files, and admiring the installations, 90% of
which Peter wrote -- all accomplished with multiple 3.5" diskettes and
batch files. Peter was really gifted at the art of batch files!

He and I shared the development tasks, and we were such a tiny firm that I
also did tech support. One day I received a call from a complaining
customer, which went something like this:
Q: Your installation doesn't work.
A: Well, lucky for you, you're speaking to the guy who wrote it. Please
tell me what went wrong.
Q: I stuck in Diskette One and pressed Enter and then it said "Insert Disk
Two." Damned thing won't fit!"
A: Oops! I forgot to say, "Remove Disk One, then insert Disk Two."
Q: I suggest you fix your documentation.
A: Point taken. Thanks for your feedback.

I learned a valuable lesson that day, *Any possible ambiguity  is your
Enemy*! Every subsequent ReadMe included "Remove Disk One and replace it
with Disk Two, then press Enter."

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 6:03 PM Gary Kjos <garykjos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since it's described as malicious I would think it would be a good
> idea.  If you used it to bypass ownership requirements for software
> including Windows that may stop that from working though.  Seems odd
> to me that you as a software developer would have installed a tool to
> steal software.
>
> GK
>
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 4:18 PM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks. So I can kill it safely?
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 4:34 PM Gary Kjos <garykjos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Developed by cyber criminals, KMSPico is a tool that allows users to
> > > activate their Windows Operating Systems free of charge. KMS (Key
> > > Management System) is essentially technology that allows activation of
> > > certain services via a local network

> > > be a

> > > --
> > > Gary Kjos