[dba-Tech] Dual Boot from Linux

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:41:09 CST 2022

Apparently you shouldn't do it that way as the Windows install will
overwrite the boot sequence

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/multiboot.html

-----------------

Multi-boot

Always install Windows first

Windows does not detect other operating systems and does not feature a
boot menu. When you install it, it overwrites your boot sequence and
your computer then boots straight into Windows.

Linux Mint (and most Linux distributions) detects other operating
systems and builds a menu from which you can choose which system to
boot.

For this reason, if you want to dual-boot or multi-boot with Windows,
it is easier and recommended to install Windows first, before you
install Linux Mint.

It does go on to explain how to fix it if Windows does that so perhaps
it IS doable, just more work involved.

GK