[dba-Tech] 8 Queen's Problem

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 12:59:58 CST 2022

To even understand this problem, you must first understand at least a
little bit about chess. Assuming that, here is the problem. Remove all
pieces from the board and then choose eight pawns. (Mix the colures if you
wish.) Now, pretend they are Queens, Finally, position them such that no
Queen can take another Queen. There are 92 different solutions. I found one
in 3 minutes and 45 seconds. (Oh, I forgot -- reflection and rotation
solutions do not count; so, we have 92 solutions. I found just one but did
it in 3:45 minutes.
try it. It's not simple but I have a shortcut, which I'm not spelling. I
now plan to direct some part of today to trying to discover another.
Then comes the N-Queens problem. At this point, N < 8 is trivial, but as
you increase n, the problem gets increasingly complex. At a 20x20 board I
am way way over my depth.

--
Arthur