[dba-Tech] Curious about USB thumb drives

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Mar 7 15:26:01 CST 2022

Looks like you fomratted as NTFS.  THat will always take about 91MB on a 64GB drive.
The NTFS filesystem uses a number of internal files including a master file table
("$MFT"), a recovery log file("$LogFile"), a volume descriptor file ("$Volume") etc
Most of that space is occupied by the pre-allocated  cluster allocation bitmap
("$Bitmap") that keeps track of what space  is used and what space is free.