[dba-Tech] Protection for phones

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Sun May 8 10:42:18 CDT 2022

I did a search and protection is out there, I'm just not sure it's
necessary. My sil says the banks themselves provide all the protection we
need.

However, my husband's checking account was hacked not too long ago -- nearly
a $1000 in Xbox charges that the software didn't catch. However, they did
send a text asking to verify two .95 charges. The bank took care of it, but
it was still a hassle. They're also investigating because of the amount. The
culprit used a debit card number that we used only once, a year before. It
was in our safe, so weird.

My sister does nothing using her phone or computer -- never had a single
issue with her account.

I use my phone primarily for email but texting is becoming more popular.  I
do bank deposit what few checks I get.  More and more web based businesses
use 2 factor ID and that is primarily texting.  I may  have some builtin AV,
never checked and after probably 20+ years of mobile phone use, never had an
issue.  I use Android.  BTW, I'm guessing but would think nowadays more
phones than computers.