[dba-Tech] Password Manager apps

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 21:56:03 CDT 2022

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM Rocky Smolin <rockysmolin2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I want to see my passwords stored on my local drive.  I might take that
> file with me on the road.

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 6:10 PM John Colby <jwcolby at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Rocky, I have never looked for the file.  Why do you need to find it?
>
> Well it is on my laptop somewhere.  I take it on the road because I take
my laptop with me.  If you have LastPass installed on your laptop, then it
syncs the file with the copy on the cloud and voila, you have your
passwords on the laptop.  They are in some sort of encrypted file so it's
not like you can just open the file in a text editor or something.  Only
LastPass can manipulate the encrypted storage file. The file is synced to
every device you own that has LastPass installed on it, so it is synced
across all your devices.  I have a server, a desktop and two laptops, all
of which have lastpass installed.

If you pay for the enhanced versions (I don't) then you can install
LastPass on your mobile device (phone etc) and it will sync to that as
well.  But again, where it is stored isn't something that I know or care
about.  It just exists.  The fact that I have LastPass installed, can open
it, and can see my passwords tells me that it is on a particular device.

BTW these password managers can also store things such as credit card data,
number, date and security number, and then fill in credit card fields on
web sites.  They can store a ton of different types of data.
Colby Consulting