[dba-VB] Ping server port

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jul 1 17:29:36 CDT 2003

On 1 Jul 2003 at 11:13, Jim DeMarco wrote:

> List,
>
> I'm been having a bit of a time getting a component that sends mail
> from a web form to work.  It's dll based and works on other sites of
> ours.  My boss suggested I ping the server to see if the SMTP port
> (25) is open (I haven't gotten a straight answer from our hardware
> staff).  Can anyone tell me how to do so?

Your boss doesn't quite have it right.

Ping will tell you if you can connect to the server, but doesn't tell
you anything about Port 25.

The 'ping' command generates an ICMP echo request packet. ICMP is a
protocol over IP that implements "control messages" (flow control,
routing, etc.). At that level the very concept of TCP/UDP ports is
completely irrelevant.

Start off with "PING \\MyServerName" or "Ping 10.10.10.1" or whatever
if you know the IP Address of the mail server.

That will tell you whether you can see the Server or not.

If you get a valid response to the Ping, try telnetting into the
Server with "TELNET \\MyServerName 25" or "TELNET \\10.10.10.1" or
whatever.   You will either get a welcome message form the SMTP
Server or see a "Connecting...." message which will time out.

If you get a valid response from the SMTP Server,  just type QUIT and
hit enter to get out again (note you will probably not see your
keystrokes echoed to your screen, so make sure you type it
corrrectly)

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg