[dba-VB] TreeView sample in .NET problems

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sat Jul 19 12:38:10 CDT 2003

Before posting a bunch of code and risking rejection due to size, has anyone
played with Treeview in .NET? I'm working up a sample that dies on a
particular line and after a couple of hours staring at it, I cannot deduce
the problem. AFAIK it should work. I'll try an abbreviated version, below.
If this is not enough, and you are interested in the problem, e me off-list
and I'll send you a zip.

Scenario:

Two classes, Customer and Order, the former containing a collection of Order
objects. There is no database, I manufacture the instances in loops. I
populate the base level with a node for each of 1000 customers, then I walk
the nodes and add some orders to each customerOrders collection.

Here are the classes:

Public Class Customer
    Public CustomerID As String
    Public CustomerName As String
    Public CustomerOrders As Collection

    Sub New(ByVal ID As String)
        Me.CustomerID = ID
    End Sub
End Class

Public Class Order
    Public OrderID As String
    Sub New(ByVal ID As String)
        Me.OrderID = ID
    End Sub
End Class

Assume that a loop correctly builds 1000 customer nodes. There's an
arrayList that is used to fill the customer node level and then I attempt to
walk it like so:

' Add orders to each Customer object in the ArrayList.
 Dim customer1 As Customer
 For Each customer1 In customerArray
     Dim y As Integer
     For y = 0 To 14
         customer1.CustomerOrders.Add(New Order("Order" + y.ToString()))
     Next y
 Next customer1

The line that chokes is the innermost, where I try to add a new order. Given
the class declaration above, I can't see why it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
TIA