[dba-VB] OleDBAdapter vs SQLDataAdapter

Eric Barro ebarro at afsweb.com
Mon Nov 15 13:39:58 CST 2004

me.startdate.text

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Nicholson,
Karen
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 11:24 AM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [dba-VB] OleDBAdapter vs SQLDataAdapter

So if my @startdate is an unbound field on a form, then @startdate =
me.startdate.value?

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of
chizotz at mchsi.com
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 2:20 PM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com

You can parameters to the data adapter select command. Here's a C#
example,
which you should be able to adapt to VB pretty easily:

dsADARpt1.Clear();
daADARpt.SelectCommand.Parameters["@startDate"].Value = startDate;
daADARpt.SelectCommand.Parameters["@endDate"].Value = endDate;
daADARpt.Fill(dsADARpt1);

The SQL in the data adapter uses the parameters basically exactly as you
are
used to, for example the SQL in the above referenced data adapter
includes a
line:

WHERE (dw_draw1.draw_date >= @startDate) AND (dw_draw1.draw_date <=
@endDate)

I hope that helps.

Ron

> I read that if a database has an SQL backend, then use the
> SQLDataAdapter in VB.net.  OK... So, up until this point I have used
OLE
> and could pass parameters easily, for instance:
>
> Select au_id, au_lname, state from authors where (state = ?)
>
> If I am using the SQLDataAdapter this bombs.  What is the SQL
> equivalent, or is this a bad idea to even use the SQL adapter?
Learning