[dba-VB] VS 2003 and IIS - Back to BASICS

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Oct 14 09:53:21 CDT 2005

Let's back up a minute and explain the problem.  The first thing to
understand is that, at heart, I am an database analyst / programmer,
operating in the ACCESS realm, not a network admin, not a web site
developer, not a SQL Server admin etc.  Therefore...

My development machine is my laptop
There has always been ONE user (that I use anyway) jwcolby
Jwcolby is an admin
I understand that there is an user named Admin (that I do not use) that is
also an admin.

I know NOTHING about IIS other than that I installed it from Add/Delete
programs / Windows
I have IIS installed on my machine, and it will serve a page if I navigate
to http://localhost/ though it wouldn't even do that with just the default
install.  I had to place a default.html in the wwwroot to even get it to do
that.

I know next to nothing about SQL Server.
It is installed and running, but I know nothing about users and security

I know nothing about Windows Security (it is not my job and I haven't used
it).
I do that Windows has user groups (and I can make one) and users (and I can
make one) and that users can belong to groups (and I can assign them to
groups).
I do NOT know how to assign users "rights" to a given directory on the disk.
It seems that you would just be able to right click on a directory and get
at the rights / users / groups stuff but I am not seeing how to do that.

So.... To sum up and quote Sergeant Schultz... "I know naaaaaathing"

Now....

I have VS 2003 installed.  I have written a fair amount of stuff (several
months playing around on small projects) in VB.Net, including things like
getting my SysVars working, able to read in from a form, saved into SysVar
classes, and written out to an XML file, loaded back in from the XML file
etc.  I am not an expert by any means.

I have a DotNetNuke web page at www.colbyconsulting.com which is way cool, I
love it, and I want to start developing some simple modules for it.

In order to develop modules for DotNetNuke, I have to have DotNetNuke
running on my machine.  It is open source, you can download it and install
it on your machine.  I have downloaded it, but the install is not happening,
probably because of all the things I do NOT know (mentioned above).  But
above all, it appears to be an issue of IIS playing nicely with ASP.Net, or
perhaps NOT playing nicely would be more correct.

So, given what I DON'T know, advice like:

>I have always setup the website location, all the site properties and the
'ForwardLookupZone', in IIS, before the ASP.Net project was started. The
process may be automated now but when the site is setup manually there has
never had any problems.

Just isn't very useful.  I appreciate the effort but that statement might as
well be classical Greek (which I also don't know anything about BTW).

I THINK I need to get my ASPNET user some privileges to do things on my
computer, OTOH I have already made it an administrator which doesn't help.
Why it wasn't set up with the needed privileges is a mystery to me, it seems
like if it should have the privileges, then it would be installed with them
but that is a discussion for another day.  Today I need to accept the sad
fact that everyone involved in using this stuff expects everyone else
involved in using this stuff to know stuff that I don't know.  "I just want
to turn on the faucet and have water come out".

So if anyone can help me get ASP.NET playing with IIS, I appreciate your
assistance, but it needs to be "step-by-step".  Assume that "I know
Naaaawthing".

Thanks,

http://folding.stanford.edu/