[dba-VB] VS 2003 and IIS

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Oct 14 19:55:22 CDT 2005

Cool, thanks.  I'll be trying this stuff tonight.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Lawrence
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 8:41 PM
To: dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] VS 2003 and IIS

Hi John:

I have had issues before and still do. The way that I have solved some
problems is to high-light the directory where the web site will reside,
right-mouse click the properties, select the security tab and make sure the
user 'everyone' has required access to the folder. The rights should be the
same as any 'anonymous' user except 'everyone' can also write to that
directory. (You must be logged on as Administrator not as just a user with
administrator rights.) I can almost bet that VS defaults to user 'everyone'
when posting a web site. My IIS server is an old Win2000 Advanced but it
should work the same.....right? :-)

Here is an article that may have some relevance:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251361#kb4

Here is something posted to a web site stating that the 127.0.0.1 not found
issue was resolved on his XP by using the following:

<quote>
Try these steps to run the asp pages
To Run MSDTC, go to command Prompt and run

1. MSDTC -resetlog
Go to command Prompt and run (it is case sensitive)
2. cd %windir%\system32\inetsrv
3. rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage
4. regsvr32 asptxn.dll
5. IISRESET

Run these steps and after that go to Services and restart the IIS. If still
doesn't work, after completing the above steps re-install the IIS.
</unquote>

Looks like the answer was a MS service call fix to me...

HTH
Jim

PS Can you view the root of the 'wwwroot' directory using http://localhost
and/or http://127.0.0.1 (maybe yes or no)?