[dba-VB] VB.net 2005 data sources screwy

Hunnicutt, Jay E. (Cont) JEHunnicutt at nhcl.med.navy.mil
Tue Jan 3 09:33:25 CST 2006

John,
	If I understand your problem correctly you need to open multiple
data sources at the same time.  We got around this by creating separate
functions to open individual data sources.  Their may be a better way but
this has worked well for us.

 Dim cn As SqlConnection
	Dim cmd As SqlCommand
	Dim dr As SqlDataReader
	Dim cn2 As SqlConnection
	Dim cmd2 As SqlCommand
	Dim dr2 As SqlDataReader

	Dim cnmass As SqlConnection
	Dim cmdmass As SqlCommand
	Dim drmass As SqlDataReader

Sub OpenConnection(strDB as String)
		If cn Is Nothing Then
			cn = New SqlConnection( "server=" & SQL_SERVER &
";uid=" & DB_User & ";password=" & DB_Password & ";database=" & strDB )
			cn.Open()
		End If

		If Not dr Is Nothing Then
			If Not dr.IsClosed() Then dr.Close()
		End If
	End Sub

	Sub SQL_Select(strDB as String, SQL as String)
		OpenConnection(strDB)

		cmd = New SqlCommand( SQL, cn )
		cmd.CommandTimeout = 300
		dr = cmd.ExecuteReader()
	End Sub

	Sub OpenConnection2(strDB as String)
		If cn2 Is Nothing Then
			cn2 = New SqlConnection( "server=" & SQL_SERVER &
";uid=" & DB_User & ";password=" & DB_Password & ";database=" & strDB )
			cn2.Open()
		End If

		If Not dr2 Is Nothing Then
			If Not dr2.IsClosed() Then dr2.Close()
		End If
	End Sub

	Sub SQL_Select2(strDB as String, SQL as String)
		OpenConnection2(strDB)

		cmd2 = New SqlCommand( SQL, cn2 )
		cmd2.CommandTimeout = 180
		dr2 = cmd2.ExecuteReader()
	End Sub

	Sub SQL_NonSelect(strDB as String, SQL as String)
		OpenConnection(strDB)

		cmd = New SqlCommand( SQL, cn )
		cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
	End Sub

	Sub SQL_NonSelect2(strDB as String, SQL as String)
		OpenConnection2(strDB)

		cmd2 = New SqlCommand( SQL, cn2 )
		cmd2.ExecuteNonQuery()
	End Sub