[dba-VB] VB6 and Vista

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jun 9 19:32:10 CDT 2006

VB6 runtime will be shipped with Vista, so your VB6 apps should still be good for the next
ten years.

http://www.ddj.com/184407843

Now, when it comes to the VB6 runtime, it is scheduled to ship as part of Windows Vista,
which means that it will be covered under Vista's support lifecycle. This is five years of
mainstream support, plus five years of extended support, from the date that Windows Vista
ships. So the runtime itself will continue to be supported for quite some time yet.

I think the differentiation between the runtime, and the design environment, is a place
where there's been some confusion in the industry. The important thing is, VB6
applications that today run on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, should run on
Windows Vista. There are always changes with the operating system from one version to
another, for example, there were changes between Windows 2000 and Windows XP in
how certain controls behave. However, we are running all of the acceptance tests for VB6
on Windows Vista, and they all pass.

SS: I know that one of the concerns has been, "My app isn't going to run on Vista." It
sounds like what you're saying, pretty clearly, is that going to Vista isn't any more of an
issue than going from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. It's a new operating system, and
there's always the potential for incompatibilities, but Microsoft isn't doing anything to break
VB6, or doing anything knowingly keep VB6 from running. In fact, by shipping the VB
runtime as part of the operating system, you're hoping that most VB6 apps will keep
running without a problem.

JR: And we're testing to insure that most VB6 apps will keep running without any problem.
--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg