[dba-VB] Reserved words

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Dec 3 09:22:59 CST 2007

Why not prepend all your tables with tbl? That would guarantee that you
don't hit a reserved word.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 1:44 PM
To: dba-sqlserver at databaseadvisors.com; dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [dba-VB] Reserved words

Does anyone know if the reserved words in SQL Server (can't be used in
table
names etc) are in a table anywhere (in sql server)?  I have code that
builds
tables and it really needs to check the proposed table name to make sure
that the name isn't a reserved word, and that it does not have special
characters.  I have had TWO times now where I was hunting down errors
caused
by issues with what is valid in a table name.

I could build a table of reserved words but if any new ones are added my
list would be short.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting