[dba-VB] Projects and solutions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Dec 15 08:55:54 CST 2007

I am writing this set of applications that allow me to import and export
data form SQL Server.  My needs are somewhat complex in that I tend to need
to import directories full of files, which could be CSV or flat files.  All
of the files need to import into the same table, or a single table needs to
be exported into many files, going out to a single directory.  Again, flat
file or CSV.  I also need to do this repetitively, i.e. I get disks every
week that need to be imported into the same table, or I need to export the
same table every couple of weeks.

Thus I am have built a set of four fairly simple projects.  Each has a
similar structure, tables that define the import or export with information
such as the source or target table, the source or target directory, the max
file size if an export, the chunk size to import (for timing issues) on
import, log files and tables to log the progress etc.

So I built these four applications, and I now need to tie them together so
that I can have a single control panel to start the applications, or to edit
the tables that define an import or export job.

My question is, should I pull all four of these into a single project or
should I leave them out in their respective projects and just run them in
place?  If I should leave them as separate projects, what are the mechanics
behind tying them into a solution?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting