[dba-VB] Visual Basic Form - Check If Recordset/Field Needs Updating

Perry L Harold pharold at proftesting.com
Thu Feb 8 10:47:25 CST 2007

Paul

For form controls (have only tried this with text boxes) I set the tag
value to the value of the control when the form is loaded.  When the
focus goes away from the current record I compare the control's value to
the tag value and if they are different set the .datachanged value to
true.  If any control has a .datachanged value of true then update the
record with the new values.  If they aren't different then no update is
done.  (The datachanged flag is set to true when the control is
populated so it needs to be reset to false after populating the form
with the selected record.  Any keystrokes also set .datachanged to true
- so no comparison is done until checking against the tag)

You can copy the tag value to the log file as the original value for any
control that has the .datachanged value of true and the control's
current value as the new value.  The field name, etc for that control
could also be logged at the same time.

Perry Harold
Professional Testing Inc