[dba-VB] How I'm approaching the problem

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jul 23 07:22:28 CDT 2007

Jim,

Throw in the fact that I have to get real work done (process data for the
client) and it really gets fun.  That is why I have been working from the
bottom up, getting those pieces written that allow me to actually process
the lists, even if I have to manually run them from the click of a button,
with hard coded constants for the parameters.

It is good that I finally have a real paying project that requires SQL
Server and VB.Net.  Yea, having to learn them under the gun is stressful,
but I have not succeeded in learning them in the past because I just didn't
NEED them and I had too much other stuff to do to spend the hundreds of
hours required to figure them out.  Now I NEED them.

I'll tell you, I really love VB.NET.  As a dev language / environment it has
everything that I want.  That was not true before 2.0, but with the latest
version it is complete enough to really do what I need.  Yes, it is 10 times
more complex than anything I have previously encountered, but a lot of the
reason is that it provides so much more "out of the box".  I am a class kind
of guy and a programmer at heart, and this is very much my dream
environment.  It is just a matter of learning it well.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting