[dba-VB] Visual Studio Trust

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 25 13:23:06 CDT 2007

It turns out that windows XP at any rate has a "zone" embedded in each file,
at the file level.

http://www.jameskovacs.com/blog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=6985963b-3d85-41ae-bca8-
5f9efe2a79c7

To quote the author...

Windows XP SP2 writes a Zone Identifier on all downloaded files. So your zip
file is marked as originating from the Internet. When you unzip the archive,
your zip file manager has conveniently written the Zone Identifier to each
file contained in the archive. Thus your solution file is marked as
originating from the Internet and is thus not fully trusted. This behavior
can also occur if you copy the code from a network share to your local drive
using Windows XP SP2. ZoneStripper removes the Zone Identifier from files
and directories so that the solution can be loaded into Visual Studio .NET
without the security warning.

How does Windows XP SP2 record the Zone Identifier? The Zone Identifier is
saved into an Alternate Data Stream (Zone.Identifier) on NTFS. One way to
remove the Zone Identifier is to move the files onto a FAT partition and
then move it back to your NTFS drive. (FAT doesn't support Alternate Data
Streams and so the Alternate Data Stream is ignored when copying files onto
a FAT partition.) The other option is to delete the Zone.Identifier
Alternate Data Stream, which is what ZoneStripper does. To see the Alternate
Data Stream, simply type the following:

notepad.exe Readme.htm:Zone.Identifier

Unfortunately the .NET Framework's System.IO classes are not Alternate Data
Stream-aware. So you must use P/Invoke to call the underlying Win32 API
CreateFile (to determine if the Zone.Identifier stream exists) and
DeleteFile (to delete the Zone.Identifier stream).

Don't even TELL me you didn't already know all this!!!

;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting