[dba-VB] Renaming DBA-VB

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Thu Oct 25 11:57:55 CDT 2007

...I don't see any hidden costs in my work as yet ...I've converted a mid
sized Access app for a client to a browser based one running on his intranet
with .net3 and VWDE ...the open source Ajax Control Tool Kit along with MS's
control extension abilities and SSE go together like peanutbutter and jelly
...once you have the pieces in place and have worked through a few samples,
its almost as easy as Access ...but you get really good speed from a server
based app with the advantages of SQL Server as well.

...granted that I've not ventured far from the beaten path as you and Gustav
are wont to do but then I'm still wondering why I waited so long, eh ...in
all honesty I'd still be plugging away at vb if it weren't for all the
sample code out there pulished in both vb and c# making it apparent that
even a hack like me could write reasonably acceptable C# code.

...and you are definitely right about the similarities in writing code,
designing forms, etc ...dotnet2 and above has so much built into the
framework that one of the major advantages of Access, at least it always was
to me, simply no longer applies ...once you sync your brain with the object
inheritence paradyme, I'm convinced that I'm actually writing less code and
getting more from it.

...and every line, every form, every table are all free, MS tool based
...and they still get all the pros and cons of being part of the MS software
stable ...my only concern right now is that MS will back off the express
product line because there are so many like me who no longer need to invest
thousands in their development tools every year ...with the client I
mentioned above, the rationale behind standardizing on MS Office no longer
exists and converting to one of the Open Office products is a real
possibility ...that's a threat to the MS bread & butter.

William