[dba-VB] Moving aText file into SQL 2005 Express

Johncliviger at aol.com Johncliviger at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 04:40:48 CDT 2008

Hi All

As part of my teach yourself vb.net 2005/08 project I'm trying to import a
.txt file(with white space between columns)  into an Array, clean it up and
dump it into a SQL express table all nicely cut up with the appropiate
datatypes. So far I've got my vb project to read the file contents into an  ArrayList
and using Console.Writeline() I get a pretty display of data in  columns in
the output window.

I'm now geting an attack of self doubt that my approach is correct.

Heres my thinking.
1) Build a Class to read a xxxxx.txt file into an  Array (1D  array)  using
MS.VB.FileIO.TextFieldParser(file path and name).
2) Then loop thru the Array cutting up the string using String.Split  and
assigning a datatype as we go thru the loop.
3) Dump each new field into a Dataset. Run and Append query to  populate the
SQL table.

I'd be grateful for any comments as to my modus operandi.

Regards
johnc