[dba-VB] Count a character in a string

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Sun Apr 13 04:26:17 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I have also tried:

string s = "asdf|qwert|zxcv|mnbv";
Regex rx = new Regex("|");
int count = rx.Matches(s).Count;

and I (expectedly) found that it takes ages comparing with the first method:

string s = "asdf|qwert|zxcv|mnbv";
int count = 0;
for (int index = 0; index < s.Length; index++)
  if ((s[index] ^ '|') == 0) count++;

which finished 20 million iterations in 3 sec, and I cancelled the RegEx
based test after several minutes waiting that it finishes for 20 million
iterations...