[dba-VB] Dev PC with Raid?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Sun Aug 24 19:43:16 CDT 2008

I would recommend going with a raid 0.  It's a mirror, and you will lose
half of your space capacity (essentially you'll only have 1 500 gig
drive, instead of 2), but it'll run just fine, speed wise, in fact,
reading will go twice as fast, and you have the reliability of losing
either drive and the other will pick up live!

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Michael
Maddison
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:40 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: [dba-VB] Dev PC with Raid?

Hi Guys,

Just got my new bits to build a new dev workstation. :-)))

I ordered 2 x 500 gb sata hdd's, the motherboard comes with raid 0,1,5 +
10.  I've never used raid on
a workstation before.  I have a 1TB usb drive I use for backups already.
I have all my dev stuff including a lot of data fitting into about 200
GB now.

Any opinions?

cheers

Michael M