[dba-VB] Subversion, TortoiseSVN and VisualSVN

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Dec 15 06:09:43 CST 2008

Hi Shamil et al

I noticed that a build-server, TeamCity 4.0, is for free download:

  http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/

Could be of very good value as it claims to verify the code before it is stored in the version system:

  http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/delayed_commit.html

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 20-05-2008 19:29 >>>
Hello John,

I have occasionally found today a good article on (distributed) version
control systems - it points on the main issues with Subversion, which I did
also experienced (especially that "Subversion fails to merge changes when
files or directories are renamed" ) and which forced me to not use
Subversion broadly. Have a look:

Distributed Version Control Systems: A Not-So-Quick Guide Through

http://www.infoq.com/articles/dvcs-guide

<<<
Or a more precise question: Why Central VCS (and notably Subversion) are not
satisfying?
Several things are blamed on Subversion:

Major reason is that branching is easy but merging is a pain (but one
doesn't go without the other). And it's likely that any consequent project
you'll work on will need easy gymnastic with splits, dev, test branches.
Subversion has no History-aware merge capability, forcing its users to
manually track exactly which revisions have been merged between branches
making it error-prone.
No way to push changes to another user (without submitting to the Central
Server).
Subversion fails to merge changes when files or directories are renamed.
The trunk/tags/branches convention can be considered misleading.
Offline commits are not possible.
.svn files pollute your local directories.
svn:external can be harmful to handle.
Performance

The modern DVCS fixed those issues with both their own implementation tricks
and from the fact that they were distributed. But as we will see in
conclusion, Subversion did not resign yet.

Bazaar seems to be one of the best free open source options for modern
DVCSs...