[dba-VB] Getting TextReader from strings...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Jun 27 06:09:03 CDT 2008

<<<
...the XML commenting method I haven't used yet...

Hi Gustav,

That should be easy for you to adapt I guess:

Download SandCastle:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E82EA71D-DA89-42EE-
A715-696E3A4873B2&displaylang=en

- start VS2005/VS2008;
- create sample project;
- add some code with XML comments (watch how VS helps to set cross-refs
while you are typing comments - all these crossrefs will be later
"automagically" used by SandCastle while generating online help);
- right-click on project entry in VS solution explorer - select 'Properties'
from popup-menu;
- select [Build] tab;
- check 'Xml documentation file' checkbox;
- (re)build assembly;
- start D:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Examples\generic\SandcastleGui.exe;
- you'll get Sandcastle main form opened;
- make sure presentation style combo-box on the right-hand side is set to
vs2005;
- add assembly file - [Add] button of top listbox;
- add generated comments file .xml (it will be in the same folder where your
assembly is located) - [Add] button of middle listbox;
- click [Build] button in the bottom - SandCastle is a "heavy beast" - it
will take a while for it to generated .chm help even for a small sample
project;
- when Sandcastle build finishes go to D:\Program
Files\Sandcastle\Examples\{YourAssemblyName}\vs2005\chm\{YourAssemblyName}.c
hm and enjoy your professionally looking code help file...

This Help generation can be automated - there are quite some scripts
installed with SandCastle but I haven't used them yet...

SandCastle is a really huge "beast" with many features including preparing
any kind of documentation - see these links:

http://www.codeplex.com/SandcastleStyles

http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=SandcastleS
tyles&ReleaseId=14068