[dba-VB] ADO.NET Entity Framework - to use or not?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sun Apr 26 13:11:49 CDT 2009

Hi Athur,

I used PITA in its first most common meaning.

I would love to contact with Paul Nielson.
I have also written my own ORM thing/light framework for MS SQL, and it was/is used in real life business apps, which are  bringing quite some money/savings to the customers every day but I'd be happy to switch to EF thing from MS provided there will be some guarantee MS will not stop EF development as they did with LINQ2SQL....

As for keeping Orders+OrderDetails in the most complicated scenarious as well as the case when "users could define the attributes of various objects they dealt with" that could be done I believe by using Software Design Patterns for Business Layer (C#/VB.NET custom coding) and keeping detail types/attributes on database level in XML fields but (fully) indexed special way for searching/data retrieval - just one approach to handle this issue in 21st century...

Data retrieval of objects' data from relational database with variable parts kept in XML (or JSON(?) - never used it here yet) is usually quick enough from practical point of view, and parsing such XML/JSON data into "relational" structures/tuples is also quick enough in code - and then such parsed XML can be delivered to forms/reports special way (as ObjectDataSource in .NET) for every special form/reports - that's what programming is still needed in this world...

I could be missing something - please explain/describe your point of view/experience in more details...