[dba-VB] SCRUM: Northwind.NET v.1.1 (Alpha) with MS Access Backend published

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Apr 27 02:57:46 CDT 2009

Hi Mark and Stuart

Many options are available for a database (server) to be used with Dot Net.

However, SQL Server CE has the advantage - within its limitations like lack of stored procedures etc. - that it uses the same SQL syntax as its big brothers.
Also, a main idea is to provide a local database for Windows applications which is very fast and can act as a high-level "cache" which you in the background synchronise with a central (remote) server based database engine like SQL Server Express or Standard. Tools for setting up such a synched remote/local database are provided which makes this task a snap.

/gustav

>>> stuart at lexacorp.com.pg 27-04-2009 01:03 >>>
Another option is SQLite.  I'd go with that rather than CE.

Not for multi-user applications, but if you ned a small, lightweight in-process SQL data
engine for a single user application it's well worth looking at.  Just a single small DLL to
distribute with your application ( < 450KB).

There are .Net wrappers available which make it very simple to use.