[dba-VB] Dreamspark - FREE DEVELOPER SOFTWARE for students

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 26 08:04:15 CDT 2009

Yesterday I registered at my local community college for a C# class.  In talking to the teacher I
discovered that Microsoft is giving away software to students.  In order to get the software you
must have an email address that ends in .edu, which you would get through your school.

I am currently downloading VS 2008 Professional!

Go to:

www.dreamspark.com

Available software:

Visual Studio 2008 Professional
SQL Server 2008 Professional
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Virtual PC
Expression Studio 3
Robotics Developer Studio 2008
XNA game studio 3.1

as well as links to all of the express editions of visual studio (which is already free).  I'm not
even sure what those last three are.

Conspicuously missing is any version of Office.  But for us developers...

The software comes as an ISO so you will have to burn it to disk or otherwise mount it on a virtual
disk drive.

BTW AFAICT this may also be available for students "overseas" as we in the US call it.

As for Office, I think I already mentioned:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx