[dba-VB] Click-Once stopped to work on my Vista PC....

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sat Aug 22 16:52:16 CDT 2009

<<<
Also is there something in the standard edition that makes it a must have,
capabilities that the
express edition does not have.  Obviously there is SOMETHING.  How about the
one click publishing.
Is that unavailable in the express edition?

Hi John,

I don't know - last time I checked - in the beginning of Northwind.NET
project this spring all VS 2008 professional projects were built OK under C#
2008 Express. You can try to download projects from

http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600

and check if anything will not compile under C# 2008 Express.

VS - higher versions - they provide some more software development
automation features - but that should be it - after all one can develop any
kind of .NET applications using notepad.exe, .NET Framework and MS Build
(from .NET Framework SDK)  (MS Build is not even needed I suppose - AFAIK it
provides some automation of compilation of sources and of building of
executables(I can be wrong here, I don't know all the details on MS Build))
- all are free to download, to use for software development and to
distribute developed apps...

<<<
I was also inquiring about the specific language you guys are using, VB or
C#.

I prefer C#.
I'd not mind to use VB if somebody will invite me to participate in an
interesting project where VB will be selected to be the main development
language...
I'd be even more interested to participate in an project where IronRuby will
be selected as the main development language (FYI:I currently have 1%
knowledge on Ruby/IronRuby)...