[dba-VB] Access data across the internet

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 28 10:43:03 CDT 2009

Eric,

Thanks for the response.  I assume you are discussing a "browser based application"?

If so there are a couple of issues that I see.
1) I would have to learn a whole new paradigm from scratch.
2) Multi-user issues.

The client is a SOHO with "employees" consisting mostly of family members, who would work from their
homes.  I understand the "setup" issues but at least for now that would be a very small number of
machines.  I just talked to the client and, for example, he has two production scanners, one in CT
and the other in Nashville.  It would be nice for each scanner to drop the scanned files (CSV files)
into a common directory structure in the office in CT.  The program would then pull the CSVs across
the internet into the local instance wherever that might be, import it into a local data store,
process the data, then export the tables back out into a fixed width file back in the same server
(different path) that the CSV came from.

You get the picture.  The thing that might make this work is that the files are tiny, 80 kb is the
biggest I have seen so far.  I am actually looking at installing Hamachi on each of his "satellite
offices" PCs, and building a virtual network around that Hamachi client.

I don't contend that this solution works for a huge system but not every system is huge!  And if it
gets huge then the money will be there to support hardware VPNs etc.  Or even a port to a web
service at that point.