[dba-VB] SPAM-LOW: Re: Access data across the internet

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Aug 30 17:07:23 CDT 2009

Gustav,

 > For any other project than your current very simple one I would happily go with WCF.

And in fact I am rewriting this very simple project into C#, more as an exercise in doing so and
making a commitment to a real live in-use app than because it absolutely requires a rewrite.

Having done so, and having the (small) time in the trenches getting it running etc., then using a
web service may in fact make sense even for this very simple project.

This client has a bunch more stuff that he wants to be doing.  This current project (in Access) is
his baby but it is only the start.  I have convinced him that I know what I am doing (in general
terms, and in Access) and he is making plans for us doing the future.  The future will involve more
of the same kind of stuff so having a standardized file transfer thing going would be a good very
thing.

We are looking at doing an application for sale.  For that I believe that having it in C# could be a
plus for a couple of reasons - the power of the .Net environment as well as the public perception of
C# vs Access.  It is in preparation for that future that I am doing the rewrite of this first piece
(and taking the class).  I need the practice!

 >I browsed the comments (before reading Shamil's message here on the same) only to find them
talking in East and West with no useful or educating info except one - the same that Shamil has
quoted previously.

I hear you, and I still find these kinds of comments useful for what they are - bitches about the
pain of what is supposed to be a standard not being a standard.  Please do not take my comment as in
any way "defending" whatever they are saying, simply that each such comment represents a truth for
an individual out there somewhere.  Obviously they are not offering advice or solutions, simply
irritated comments about the reality that they are exposed to.  OTOH that reality is .Net banging
against another platform, not .Net banging against .Net.

In the same way, I read the all comments, including negative comments about anything I am
researching to buy on Amazon.com or Newegg.com etc.  Things don't always work the way they are
supposed to and it is useful to hear the negatives.

These comments were in response to a "it was a PITA" blog, so naturally they are going to chime in
with their own PITA experiences and the general tone is down.