[dba-VB] Simple web project

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Wed Jul 22 12:59:50 CDT 2009

Hi John,

I'd recommend you to use ASP.Net 2.0 or 3.5 with MS SQL Server 2005/2008
(Express) as backend (please see below why MS SQL Server is IMO below).

<<<
1) Web hosting?

I do use PARKING.RU - http://hosting.parking.ru/text.aspx?s=W2008
It works well for me as well as for my customers, one of them from your
country "wild west" (WA), used this hosting as a "test-bed" to run her
ASP.NET web service in 24x7 mode for several months, and that was very heavy
duty web service with many requests coming to it every second.

I'm not sure you'll pick to use the above hosting provider as it's located
in Moscow, Russia.
You can try then http://www.discountasp.net/

<<<
2) Security model?

Built-in ASP.NET 2.0/3.5 Membership system - runs only when MS SQL Server
2005/2008 (Express) is used for backend. Supports Members and Roles (and
some other useful stuff), provides built-in login/logout (and related)
ASP.NET controls.

<<<
3) Other issues I am not even considering?

Improvement Ravine :) - at least you didn't mention it here - you'll have to
have some patience and courage to get through it as on first steps you'll
feel yourself extremely unproductive comparing with what you can do using MS
Access:

Source: http://martinfowler.com/bliki/ImprovementRavine.html

<<<
4) Which .Net product?

ASP.NET 3.5 SP1 (FYI: is supports both ASP.NET 2.0 and 3.5)

---
As for some simple samples of ASP.NET WebForms development for MS Access
(AccessDataSource) you can find them in our Northwind.Net solution here:

Northwind.NET.v.1.2.Sources.zip
http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600#D
ownloadId=66932

in Northwind.ASP.NET.MSAccess.Reporting web project.

I have made this web project entry web form available online here:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/nw/default1.aspx

In the bottom of the above web page you'll find:

+++++++
Northwind Forms
(Sorry, just rough mock-ups mainly generated by VS2008 with a few code lines
in code-behind to coordinate parent-child data retrieval using
AccessDataSources)

Shippers
Categories
Customers
Employees
Suppliers
Products
Orders
--------

Try them this week.  (I will remove all sample webforms allowing to edit
data, and I will restore original MS Access db next week).

If you or anybody else here wanted to collect some data access stats while
playing with this db - I can add those stats collection code - please
propose what stats would be interesting to collect (a few).

P.S. Have a look also here - the following sample web site is done (mainly
generated by VS2008 from some of its templates) in about ten minutes:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/NorthwindNetDynamicDataWebSite/Default.a
spx

This is ADO.NET Entity Framework in action - it requires MS SQL Server
2005/2008 (Express) as backend, and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1