[dba-VB] Which .Net Framework Should I Use?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Jun 3 13:59:33 CDT 2009

Hi Dan,

I suppose that it's better to have the latest version of .NET Framework release, which is currently 3.5 SP1 as you noted.

I have just happened to bootstrap .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 setup on my sister's notebook running XP by browsing to this link on my test site:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/xaml/WpfBrowserApplication2.xbap

That bootstrap downloaded ~66MB of .NET Framework setup and then run it rather smoothly with one exception that it didn't want to continue with IE instance, which forced bootstrap, window opened - and the only option to close IE window was to "kill" it via Task Manager but then .NET 3.5 SP1 setup proceeded and finished OK, and my sample XBAP application did show-up OK on my sister's PC...

I'd also note that if you only starting .NET development then maybe consider using C# instead of VB.NET - the reasons of using C# was many times repeated here and on AccessD - one of then is that for C# there are much more that for VB.NET ready to use code snippets all over the Internet, another one is that C# results in more readable code etc.