[dba-VB] Problem while publishing ADO.NET Data Service...

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Jun 5 17:27:22 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I have got my SilverLight sample working:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/sl/NWNetSilverlight.aspx

it uses hardcoded Shipper sample table's data.

Then I tried to "feed" my Silverlight sample form by using the following ADO.NET Data Service:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/NorthwindNetDataService/NWNetDS.svc

with code like that (which works well in C# console app):

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Data.Services.Client;
using System.ComponentModel;

namespace ResearchAndDevelopment.Console
{
    public class Shippers
    {
        public class Shipper
        {
            public int ID { get; set; }
            public string Name { get; set; }
            public string Phone { get; set; }
            public byte[] RowTimeStamp { get; set; }
        }

        private static Uri dataServiceURI =
             new Uri(@"http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/NorthwindNetDataService/NWNetDS.svc");
        public static void ListShippers()
        {
            DataServiceContext ctx =
                new DataServiceContext(dataServiceURI);
            IEnumerable<Shipper> shippers = ctx.Execute<Shipper>(
                  new Uri("Shipper?$orderby=ID", UriKind.Relative));
            foreach (Shipper s in shippers)
            {
                System.Console.WriteLine("{0}. {1}", s.ID, s.Name);
            }
        }
    }
}

But I have found that SilverLight 2.0 doesn't support ADO.NET Data Services "out-of-the-box" as straightforward as the above sample code. This sample code doesn't even compile for SilverLight projects because those projects can't be used with .NET Framework 3.5.

Therefore I'm currently stuck in feeding my SilverLight 2.0 sample with ADO.NET Data Services (.NET 3.5 SP1) ATOM feed.

Do you have any samples' references explaining how to get ADO.NET Data Services Data into SilverLight 2.0 - the most straightforward way?