[dba-VB] SCRUM/SilverLight 2.0

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Jun 6 11:41:34 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I have got SilverLight 2.0 working with sample ADO.NET Data Service - have a look:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/sl/NWNetSLAppTestPage.aspx - SilverLight sample form

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/NorthwindNetDataService/NWNetDS.svc - ADO.NET Data Service

I have used this article to make some corrections to my previous code:

Using Silverlight 2 With ADO.NET Data Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd569758.aspx

Please take special attention to this note from article:

<<<
Cross-Domain Communications
ADO.NET Data Services does not currently support cross-domain communications. Cross-domain communications are supported with standard REST and SOAP services, but not with ADO.NET Data Services. (As a note: the data services team is exploring the space and will post their progress to the Astoria team blog as they go.) This means that a Silverlight 2 client cannot talk to services exposed through ADO.NET Data Services if those services are hosted on a different domain than the domain that hosts the Silverlight client application

I first missed it and tried to make my SilverLight application working in debug mode on my PC while trying to get data from the above ADO.NET Data Service - it didn't work and resulted in obscure runtime error message box popping up in IE 7:

A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to debiug?

Line: 0
Error: Access is denied

When the application was put on the same server then it started to work OK.

This sample application is just getting some data and exposing them in a Silverlight window/form - nothing special but in fact this is a core to grow "meat stuff" around.

In the coming days (after lonng weekend break till next Tuesday) I plan to add some more features to this sample application as inserting/updating/deleting records and also simple navigation control.

Please note that SilverLight applications are a kind of limited XBAP application which in turn are a kind of limited WPF applications: knowing how to develop one kind of them will simplify to master development of the others.

What about making Northwind.Net.Silverlight application in a SCRUM team?