[dba-VB] Updating Toolbox in VB Express

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 08:26:38 CDT 2009

> Now, I don't what you and Charlotte are up to, but I hope you create some
> DataSet.xsd files and use the designer to create your datatables.

========That's exactly what I'm doing. The instructions are simple enough,
but VB Express doesn't always behave as I think it should -- so either VB
Express is cranky, or... well... we already know about me. :) The Toolbox
would not update accordingly. And, I created a reference in one project to
the project with the dataset, but the dataset didn't show up in the Add
Dataset Typed Dataset list. So, I'm wondering if there's a secret to getting
the Toolbox (and other dialogs) to update once you create a dataset -- if
they're supposed to be available in the Toolbox, because they weren't until
I ran Imports statements explicitly added those objects to the form. I was
unable to drag the dataset from the Toolbox, because it wasn't listed. I ran
the code, the Toolbox listed it. Now, that's peculair to me.

> Also, have the box with Data Sources on display; this will contain your
> datasets, and you can easily drag and drop full tables or single/selected
> fields to your form.

==========You mean the Solutions Explorer or the Database Explorer? I'm
working with both.

Susan H.