[dba-VB] Syslogs

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 29 11:56:50 CDT 2009

Hi John

Well, you have to decide. If you wish to communicate, either the sender or the receiver has to identify itself. That drives anything on the Internet.

And syslog is not broadcasting. If you wish to listen to any address on your local network or transmit to any address on the local network, you have to determine the address of your machine and the subnet mask and you can calculate all possible addresses. Note that network admins hate broadcasting applications as these are considered noisy.
If you wish to communicate in or out of your local network, again you must know "something" about the machine(s) out there and your router will take care of the rest (if it and the firewall allows).

The reason Hamachi and the like works is because they initially use port 80 (which can be considered open on any office network) and an external proxy to establish communication - so sender and receiver can identify each other. Nothing black magic here.

syslog is fun because it is so primitive. This makes it an universal tool with heavy limitations but with nearly zero use of resources. What has been missing is prebuilt methods to read and write the messages from/to a database - to make it useful for people like us. This is what and how the article describes.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 29-06-2009 18:37 >>>
LOL, but you still have to know your own IP address.  We got into this one time, with Hamachi, VMs,
multiple NICS etc. it is difficult to determine what my own IP address is.