[dba-VB] [AccessD] SCRUM: Northwind .NET Product BackLogPlanningGame...

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:41:31 CDT 2009

Hello Shamil,
I have one or two questions on scrum techniques.

In the estimates, the product owner has to make some judgement calls on
which items to drop, and which items to include.  Or let me phrase that
better, the product owner has to prioritise his importance of the items, in
the hope that he receives all, but if he does not, then he must decide which
items to exclude.

Background of question first
My personal instinct, and the behavior of most people I know will be to seek
some additional information from the 'supplier' as to why feature a takes
one hour and feature b takes 5 hours.   I would expect that most people
would assume that this background information assists them in their decision
process, as they are making it from a position of knowledge.  Also, as a
product owner in this case, I imagine that there is a certain element of
risk / gambling on the product owners behalf, i.e. do I place this feature
(a 5 hour estimate) at the top of the list, and guarantee its delivery, or
do I drop it down the list, and guarantee five other (1 hour) features.  My
instinct at this point is that most people will desire a little background
on the justifications for why one item is one hour and one item is five
hours.

Now the question to our ScrumMaster
In this new world, is the above appropriate thinking on behalf of the
product owner.  Do I / should I re-program my brain to accept blindly the
estimates and focus only on what is important as a delivered feature and NOT
on why feature A takes five times the time to produce feature B.  If I take
this blind leap of faith, will I eventually produce more accurate views on
what is important to my business?  i.e. should the product owner keep their
nose out of the programmers area and stick to being product owner.

Question 2
In a larger project than this one, but even in this small project there are
synergies, IOW, the work to produce the suppliers form, may be identical to
the work to produce the categories form.  Should the product owner know
there there is some virtual grouping here?  Or once again, should he keep
his dirty nose out of these types of concepts.  I think you answer will be
yes, he should keep his nose out and leave that to the scrum team.

Question 3
When are we ready for me to prioritise the list