[dba-VB] SCRUM Is source code control working OK for you?

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Mar 26 09:19:07 CDT 2009

Hi Mark,

Yes, SCRUM techniques and their practical application to our project are important but there are several other subjects of equal importance I'd suppose.

- 1) Distributed SCRUM;
- 1) Distributed Source Code Control and related technologies to "industrialize" software development: (automated) code refactoring, Test Driven Development, automated Unit/Integration/.... testing, automated coding quality checking, continuous integration etc. (sorry used some buzzwords here but I do know from my experienced all of them do have good practical application) ;
- 3) Getting our team members who only start with .NET on speed with .NET development. Of course getting on full speed is a long story but getting on good speed is expected to be (much) shorter...

Source Code Control for distributed teams for any real life size project (with thousands of source files) is a cornerstone for everything else in my opinion - I'd "sacrifice" some SCRUM practices but not Source Code Control...

Getting our team members on good speed with .NET is the second most important task, and the third is SCRUM - SCRUM will be rather useless in our case without good final project developed, and that good final project can be developed without SCC but then I or somebody else of our team would have to spend their time on routine work of code coordination - let's better try to get automated SCC working with your server - it should be less "trouble" to solve for our team than to coordinate code changes manually (Note: yes, in the beginning I was telling we can live without SCC but now with your server and/or CodePlex working well I'd prefer to rely on automated SCC, and free some time to assist in coding for other team members...)

I will be keeping here SCRUM stats on local TargetProcess system until I get it online (with help of TargetProcess helpdesk) and that work needs some time - I'd better do it than coordinate source code manually....

When we currently have two working options as your SCC Server and CodePlex we should use first of them (your server) as a team, and the second - CodePlex - I'd keep posting current versions every week to have them shared wit everybody. CodePlex is good but using your server (if you'll have time) will allow us to get e.g. CruiseControl.NET etc. running there and then we can use such tested configuration for other projects, consult others etc. - installing and keeping running such "continuous integration chain" is not "rocket-science" but doing that alone takes quite some time - together we can get it up&running much quicker...

Mark, there is one concern about committing changes, namely, imagine somebody of our team adds new forms/reports/classes to one of the two projects, and another team members adds some more new forms/reports/classes  to one of the two projects etc. - and they are doing that against common current versions of solution they have on their PC. What will happen with project files .csproj when they will be committed? Not sure here they will get merged properly. I'd try to test that ASAP: we can do that with you by chatting via MS Messenger/GoogleTalk and doing some additions to the source projects, and then committing them.

Note: I'd suppose VisualSVN somehow handles this issue because it's a Visual Studio Add-in and such add-ins can process .csproj files smarter than just TortoiseSVN, which I expect (I can be wrong) would just try to "stupidly" merge two files producing incorrect .csproj file (which is an XML file)...

> Shamil, is there any tasks that I should currently be doing (as product
> owner) at the moment, in your opinion
Mark as far as I see what is missing in Access Northwind is navigation involving all forms and reports - maybe you can try to figure out such navigation by just filling a worksheet with rows having forms/reports names and some columns having "buttons" navigating to other forms/reports...

It would be useful also to maybe try to install CruiseControl.NET and get it working on every commit running a "fake" unit test showing that currently committed code compiles and builds well, "fake" unit/integration test runs etc. but that kind of activity is not the one of ProductOwner - would you be interested to do something like that? - and when we're done with all forms/reports/navigation then we can join you to set this automated development environment. No need to set this environment quickly but setting it gradually piece by piece would be useful for all of us+.

From: Mark Breen <marklbreen at gmail.com>
To: Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru>, "Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues." <dba-vb at databaseadvisors.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:50:40 +0000
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] SCRUM Is source code control working OK for you?