[dba-VB] SCRUM Is source code control working OK for you?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 27 05:29:17 CDT 2009

Hi SCRUM Team and all

This really caused me a headache, and even when I found out as described here that the connection string is stored in the settings too, I still couldn't open the datasets as described here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/Workaround.aspx?FeedbackID=113567

However, this morning after a restart it suddenly worked.

This issue is not common as in "real life" we all would attach to the same database, thus the issue would be moot.

Despite all the trouble with the source code system - it took some time to get going - I like it very much including VisualSVN. It is extremely convenient to have the tiny green/yellow/red balls juxtaposed the normal icons - at a glance you can see which files have been changed.
Sometimes you need a kick to get started and I will for sure follow this route and set up my own server for new projects as I work both from home and from the office. Also, external assistance could be called easily!

/gustav

>>> Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru> 26-03-2009 17:48 >>>

Hi SCRUM Team and all,

OK, this should:

Right-Click Project name -> Properties -> Settings -> NorthwindNETConnectionString

with setting value =

Data Source=HAMBURG\SQL2005;Initial Catalog=NorthwindNET;Integrated Security=True

which should be edited and then app.config's <connectionStrings> sestion is getting (re-)generated. But as far as I can see the value from app.config is not used by strongly-typed datasets - instead hardcoded value from

Northwind.NET.FE -> Properties -> Settings.Designer.cs is used...

We can keep replacing each other connection strings if we will be commiting

Settings.Designer.cs and app.config - IOW better not commit them if we do not introduce new settings.

In any event take anote that if you are getting trouble opening say CategoriesForm then you have to edit connection string in project settings not in app.config.

Sorry for confusion I introduced. (I must say I rarely use strongly typed datasets but this issue/subject is another story we can talk in half a year probably - maybe in that time I will become adept of strongly typed datasets and ADO.NET Entity Framework and I will forget my current preferences of using custom object models with as little ADO.NET as possibel and without any strongly typed datasets at all...