[dba-VB] What to do, what to do?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 12 11:22:55 CST 2009

I am writing an application in C# to merge records (previously discussed).  It looks pretty simple,
all things considered.  Get data into a dataset object which will contain about 4 tables.  Then use
the records and fields collections of the recordset to iterate through the fields building up a
record (or modifying the first record of a small set of records - the dupes).  Copy a record from
one table into another table inside of the dataset.  Delete records in a table in the dataset.  Etc.
Etc all without going back out to the actual data tables on SQL Server until the very end when I
will do an update back to the live data.

Am I correct in assuming here that I can programmatically append records from one table in the
dataset to another record in the dataset?  Delete records in the tables in the dataset?  Update
records in tables in the dataset?  All "in memory" without connecting back to the live data in the
database?

Is there anything I need to know before I launch into this?