[dba-VB] Archives down

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Mon Nov 16 07:59:09 CST 2009

Hi John --

ADO.NET EF is a great thing.
But maybe it will be wise to wait to use it in production GUI when VS2010
will be released then it will be possible to have natively bound WinForms
and WPF Forms (and ASP.NET controls? And SilverLight controls), and where
ADO.NET EF entities' mapping to db objects will be more flexible, and where
it will be possible to have entity model driven(?) (database model)
development...

I have recently posted here a link to the following presentation:

"ORM, EDM, ESQL, Entity Framework, LINQ to SQL, LINQ to Entities -
Confused?"
 http://www.infoq.com/presentations/ORM-LINQ-Entity-Framework-Eric-Nelson

I suppose it will answer most of your questions.

BTW, our
http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600
project has a couple of ADO.NET EF samples -

SPJWinFormsForEF_VS2008.zip
source code, 838K, uploaded Jul 23

Application SPJWinFormsForEF_Executables.zip
application, 203K, uploaded Jul 23

P.S. BTW, I have mainly skipped "LINQ to SQL" - and I'm now happy (:)) I
will not need to rewrite my applications as "LINQ to SQL" development is
stopped there at MS AFAIU...