[dba-VB] Projects vs Solutions

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Nov 18 07:17:08 CST 2009

Hi John

On the New Project pane at the bottom select the name for the (new) solution and mark Create directory for solution.
That folder holds your projects of this solution.

All projects of a solution are listed in the treeview (typically the right panel). Open only those projects you wish to.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 18-11-2009 14:06 >>>
I am hazy on how things are organized in .Net once you start building pieces of code.

What is a project, what is a solution and how are they tied together.

My role for the "DBFH" client involves lots of different tasks, for which there will be many
different pieces.  I would hope to tie the pieces together in one big application.

For example I just wrote the little applet to cleanup CSV files, which will have to be used again.
I do exports to Accuzip, imports from Accuzip, these two are closely related obviously.  I build
orders.  I have to export data from tables for processing by external processing houses, which
involves a very similar export / zip / FTP process.

So as I build these processes in C#, how are they physically organized on the disk, and how are they
tied back together into one program.

 From what I am reading, a Solution is the big picture, a Project is a small part of the Solution.
But when I open VS2008 there is no "create a solution" or at least I don't see one.  So how does one
create a solution, and then look at just one project at a time inside of that solution?