[dba-VB] SMO was Projects vs Solutions

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 21 09:42:12 CST 2009

 > or do you plan to implement some custom applications using Microsoft.SQLServer.* ?

Exactly.  My work for one of my clients is heavy manipulation of SQL Server.  I routinely export
files to an external application running on virtual machines on another server, then wait for the
files to process, then import them back in to SQL server.  These two processes together take about
10 stored procedures.  The export / import has to occur on (currently) a half dozen large databases
monthly.  However as I obtain more lists that number goes up.  Each process exports to it's own
directory path, then imports back from a parallel directory path.  While the stored procedures
eliminate much of the manual labor, there is plenty left.  Plus logging of everything etc.

I also routinely process orders.  These orders take about a dozen stored procedures and also use the
exact same set of stored procedures as the above process, i.e. the export / import process is also
used on each and every order.

So there is just a ton of very repetitive work that has to be done, but which database / table
varies from run to run.  To this point I have used Access / VBA to automate these tasks.  Now I am
moving to C# for this automation work.

SMO allows me to manipulate SQL Server from C# and so it is an API that I will use to assist me in
getting this program working.