[dba-VB] SQL Server not locking up

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 1 20:03:22 CDT 2009

I am hesitantly declaring victory in the SQL Server war.  I am going to award Nancy Lytle the award
for the correct solution, with the proviso that she has to give it back if it turns out that the
wily server misbehaves again.  Since setting Max Degree of Parallelism to 3 I have not been locked
out again.  Understand that about this same time I also changed processor I/O affinity to only use
the same three CPUs that I set CPU affinity for.

And I have had so many problems with this, where it went away and then came back that I am very
hesitant to declare victory but I did want to report back that the "locking up" issue hasn't
recurred lately.

Thanks go to everyone who volunteered suggestions.