[dba-VB] C# replace a special character

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 22 18:57:38 CDT 2009

What sort of speed does PB get?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-vb-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Stuart McLachlan
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 1:58 PM
To: Discussion concerning Visual Basic and related programming issues.
Subject: Re: [dba-VB] C# replace a special character

PB is still very much in use and undergoing continuous development. Latest
version is 9.02

Combined it  with SQL Tools for ODBC connectivity and it rocks.

To quote from http://www.powerbasic.com

PowerBASIC 9 for Windows, our GUI compiler, creates applications and DLLs
with the
Windows look and feel. And PowerBASIC Forms, our Visual Dialog Designer,
will have
those GUI apps running in no time at all! For text mode, there's the
PowerBASIC Console
Compiler 5 -- no fluff, no animated puppets, just intense computing power.
That's why it's
said "We put the POWER in BASIC!".

These new versions sport a number of exciting new features. Both compilers
can create
client COM applications using Dispatch, Direct, Automation, or Dual
interfaces.

PowerBASIC 9 For Windows can create COM components (servers) using Dispatch,
Direct,
Automation, or Dual interfaces. The inline assembler has been expanded to
support the full
range of SIMD opcodes. A complete graphics engine, a printer package for
Windows GDI
host printers, dynamic pointers, and thread local storage, to name just a
few.

Dynamic Dialog Tools has been expanded to support TreeViews, ListViews,
ProgressBars,
ToolBars, ImageLists, Tab controls, and much, much more.

The built in graphics engine has been expanded to support keyboard and mouse
input with
easy to use statements. The built in GDI printer engine has been expanded.
Select the
paper tray, set the paper size, turn duplexing on and off, enable or disable
collating, and
more.

Signed and unsigned bit variables, 1 to 31 bits wide, can be packed one
after another in
User-Types and Unions. We have FIELD string variables, and a FIELD statement
for
resizable data structures. Even THREADED variables for Thread Local Storage
(data local
to a thread).

--
Stuart

On 22 Oct 2009 at 15:31, Mark Breen wrote:

> Hello Stuart,
> Have not heard of PowerBasic since 2001, is is still in use?  or is this
an
> old language that you still use through familiarity?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>

> 2009/10/20 Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
>
> > 200 megabytes tirivial.
> >
> > I just knocked this up in PowerBasic (this is the complete program!):
> >
> > #COMPILE EXE
> > #DIM ALL
> > FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
> >    LOCAL strFile AS STRING
> >    LOCAL lngSTart AS LONG
> >    LOCAL strData AS STRING
> >    strFile = "ML_Data.mdb"
> >    lngStart = TIMER
> >    OPEN strFile FOR BINARY AS #1
> >    GET$ #1, LOF(1), strData
> >    CLOSE #1
> >    REPLACE "A" WITH "B" IN strData
> >    OPEN strfile & "fixed" FOR BINARY as#1
> >    PUT$ #1, strData
> >    CLOSE #1
> >    MSGBOX "It took " & STR$(TIMER - lngstart) & " seconds"
> > END FUNCTION
> >
> > It compiles to an 11KB executable with no dependencies.
> >
> > It took 18 seconds to process ML_Data.mdb which is 774MB in size.  Most
of
> > that time was
> > taken in reading and writing the file to/from memory.
> >

> > --
> > Stuart
> >

> > On 20 Oct 2009 at 15:53, jwcolby wrote:
> >
> > > It is my guess that Regex will be too slow.  This will be a file with
> > about 100 characters average
> > > per line, 2 million lines.  Doing this in one big read MIGHT be
possible
> > (and I will try) but
> > > reading in 200 million bytes all at once could cause issues.
> > >
> > > John W. Colby
> > > www.ColbyConsulting.com

> > thought

Accuzip